Sunday, December 13, 2009

What type of acne medications can you use when pregnant?

I've been using Noxema (face wash %26amp; acne pads) because that's what i've always used, but my mother says i'm not suppose to use any kind of acne medication, just use soap and water while i'm pregnant. Is she right? Or is noxema safe to use?What type of acne medications can you use when pregnant?
You should always talk to your doctor before using any types of creams or pills for acne while you are pregnant. While I was pregnant I learned that the most common active ingredients that may be found in topical creams are: benzoyl peroxide, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid, erythromycin, clindamycin, sodium sulfacetamide, tretinoin, adapalene, and azelaic acid. Most of these ingredients have been scientifically proven to be safe.Although, there are some risks associated with some of them as well. You never want to use any product that has sodium sulfacetamide in it. It is said that this chemical is ok in your earlier stages but not in the last trimester. In my opinion if it is not good in the end then I don't want to use it at all. I hope this was helpful, but just remember always consult your doctor first!!! The babies health is most important.What type of acne medications can you use when pregnant?
Noxema is not an acne medication, it's a cleanser and cleansers are safe while pregnant. They say you should avoid salicylic acid while pregnant, but to me, what you put on your face isn't likely to travel to your uterus in any large amount.





I use Aveda Outer Peace acne line and I love it. I used salicylic acid with my first occasionally and everything was fine. Just don't lather it onto your belly or eat it.





And contrary to what others have said, acne is very common during pregnancy. Trust me! I had it with both of my pregnancies, especially on my back and chest.
Noxema is safe to use, but honestly I think it's more of an irritant anyway than just using soap and water. I've used Olay face wash and it worked well. I definitely wouldn't use Accutane (prescription medication) as it's category X for pregnancy.





You could just deal with it - and sometimes women notice once they're pregnant their skin clears up.





Do a google search of Paula Begoun's website on cosmetics and you'll find some better products that might not irritate your skin. As long as they're not prescription they should be safe (unless the label says otherwise, I guess.)
Okay, so I have been reading the other posts to your question and some of them have been saying that your not pregnant if you have acne. Sooooo NOT true, my cousin had perfectly clear skin before being pregnant. While being pregnant she got horrible acne. I think everyones body responds differently to pregnancy. So I would just check with your doctor.
The best course of action is to contact your doctor and they will be able to provide you with expert medical opinion. There are many medications that are safe during pregnancy, but if yours isn't one of them your doctor might be able to prescribe an alternative that is safe and will do the same job.





Good luck!
usually when you are pregnant, you will have the clearest skin in your whole life. you shouldn't need anything at all. i didn't wash my face the whole time i was pregnant and i used to have severe acne. think of it this way...would you put noxema on your baby?? would you put soap on your baby?? there ya go...check with your pharmasist if you still have concerns...or your doctor
I was told that once too but I spoke to my doctor about it the other day and he said it's fine to use them.
I think your mom is right
Well i'm thinking if you still have acne you shouldn't be pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
loan officer